AUGUST 1, 2015 NEW YORK GIANTS TRAINING CAMP REPORT…
The New York Giants held their second summer training camp practice on Saturday at Quest Diagnostics Training Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The full training camp schedule is available at Giants.com.
JAMES JONES OFFICIALLY SIGNED, MATT LaCOSSE AND BRAD HARRAH WAIVED…
The Giants have officially announced the signing of unrestricted free agent wide receiver James Jones. Jones will wear #89. The Giants have waived/injured tight end Matt LaCosse (hamstring) and defensive end Brad Harrah (quad).
INJURY REPORT AND ABSENTEES…
Offensive tackle Will Beatty (PUP – recovering from pectoral surgery) did not practice.
Wide receiver Odell Beckham (hamstring), wide receiver Victor Cruz (recovering from knee surgery), safety Nat Berhe (calf), and safety Mykkele Thompson (hamstring) were held to a limited number of snaps. The Giants want to work them back in slowly. Offensive guard John Jerry (sick) was limited.
Tight end Jerome Cunningham and wide receiver Preston Parker had to leave practice early with cramps.
Defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul (hand/arm) still has not signed his 1-year Franchise tender and has not reported to training camp.
Some snippets from various media sources:
- Quarterback Eli Manning hit tight end Jerome Cunningham (now wearing #86) for a touchdown.
- Owamagbe Odighizuwa saw some first-team reps at defensive end with Robert Ayers.
- The defense performed well on Saturday with cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, safety Landon Collins, and safety Bennett Jackson each making a couple of pass break-ups.
- Tight end Adrien Robinson made a nice catch.
- Safety Nat Berhe saw some time with the second-team defense.
- Cornerback Jayron Hosley had a good practice.
- Wide receiver Geremy Davis made another nice reception and has looked good early.
- Running back Andre Williams has looked quicker than last year and has received some first-team reps in practice.
HEAD COACH TOM COUGHLIN…
Tom Coughlin addressed the media after the afternoon practice (video is available at Giants.com):
Q: Did you get word on what happened to Preston Parker yet?
Q: I just saw Jerome Cunningham go off on a cart…
Q: Are you going to be in some kind of pads tomorrow?
A: Uppers, yes.
Q: You had two guys with cramps here, a guy with a hamstring injury. Does that concern you? You wanted guys to arrive in shape.
A: They’re in shape. Evidently, they didn’t hydrate well enough. One guy had had the runs, one of those deals. So, try as you might, you’re still going to get these things. No matter who you try to blame, it’s going to happen. It’s 90 degrees.
Q: Has Cunningham shown you a little bit?
A: Yesterday he did well. I didn’t think too many people on offense showed me anything today. He did a few good things yesterday.
Q: We hear a lot of the players saying “be where your feet are.” Where does that come from?
A: Mindfulness. Mindfulness. If you’re going to be in the gym, be in the gym. Be where your feet are. Stay in the moment. Take care of one moment at a time. While you’re here, you deal with your football, deal with your job. It’s all the same type of theme.
Q: Who came up with that? Where was it discovered?
A: Well, we studied it this offseason as a staff. We’ve always had lots of statements about things of that nature. It’s just been reinforced more heavily, to the point where the guys are repeating it.
Q: Did James Jones come in as advertised?
A: Yes. Seemed like he was in good shape. Took some snaps today.
Q: Do you think he will acclimate more quickly. He thinks the offense is very similar to Green Bay.
A: The terminology, yes.
Q: Is his ability to do things in the red zone something that you liked?
A: Well, we’ll see. Hopefully it’s that, and in the field as well. It doesn’t have to be just the red zone.
Q: What have you seen from Ereck Flowers and Landon Collins? The two rookies starting right from the get-go.
A: I haven’t seen anything particularly good or bad just yet. It’s very early. They’re both working hard.
Q: Any word from JPP yet?
A: Not to my knowledge, no.
Q: Is Larry Donnell over the Achilles tendonitis from the spring?
A: He’s practiced and he’s done well with that.
Q: I haven’t seen John Jerry that much. Does he have something?
A: He was sick yesterday, and kind of sick today but he kept going. He took some reps today.
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
The following video clips of a player media Q&As are available at Giants.com:
- RB Rashad Jennings (Video)
- WR James Jones (Video)
- WR Corey Washington (Video)
- OG Geoff Schwartz (Video)
- DE Damontre Moore (Video)
- DT Jay Bromley (Video)
- CB Prince Amukamara (Video)
- S Landon Collins (Video)
- Giants’ Victor Cruz works way back from horrific knee injury by Ralph Vacchiano of The New York Daily News
- New Giants wide receiver James Jones excited by Giants’ talented group by Tom Rock of Newsday
- Jerome Cunningham jumps to starting TE in Giants practice by Tom Rock of Newsday
- Tracking Giants rookie left tackle Ereck Flowers at practice by James Kratch for NJ.com
- The Giants have a new secret weapon who fits in everywhere by Zach Braziller of The New York Post
- Giants are hoping Landon Collins is a quick study by Dan Graziano of ESPN.com
- James Jones and DRC welcome opportunity to challenge each other by Michael Eisen of Giants.com
WHAT’S UP NEXT…
The third training camp practice will be held on Sunday from 2:30-4:30PM. For a complete listing of training camp practices as well as a handy fan Q&A about training camp, see our Training Camp section of the website. Only seven remaining training camp practices at Quest Diagnostics Training Center will be open to the public this year:
- Sunday, August 2: 2:30 – 4:30PM
- Monday, August 3: 2:30 – 4:30PM
- Thursday, August 6: 2:30 – 4:30PM
- Sunday, August 16: 5:50 – 7:50PM
- Wednesday, August 19: 5:50 – 7:50PM
- Thursday, August 20: 5:50 – 7:50PM
- Tuesday, August 25: 2:30 – 4:30PM