BUFFALO BILLS 21 – NEW YORK GIANTS 0…
The New York Giants were shutout by the Buffalo Bills 21-0 at New Era Field in Orchard Park, New York on Saturday. The Giants are now 0-2 in the preseason under new Head Coach Ben McAdoo.
The offense was pathetic, accruing only 166 total net yards, 64 net passing yards, and seven first downs. And 67 of those yards came on one run by back-up running back Bobby Rainey in the 4th quarter. In four series, the starting offense gained only 23 net yards and one first down. Both pass and run blocking was terrible and the Giants turned the football over four times. The only time the offense seriously threatened – in the fourth quarter – kick Tom Obarski missed a 27-yard field goal.
The individual offensive stats also tell a horrific story.
Eli Manning completed 4-of-9 passes for 44 yards, Ryan Nassib 2-of-12 passes for 25 yards and one lost fumble, and Logan Thomas 2-of-4 passes for 17 yards and two interceptions. Rainey had 70 yards rushing (with 67 yards coming on one late run). Four other running backs carried the ball 14 times for 29 yards with one lost fumble (by Andre Williams).
The Bills scored all of their points in the first half, with their scoring drives starting from the Bills 48-yard line, Giants 49-yard line, and Giants 19-yard line – the latter coming after Nassib’s fumble with 24 seconds left before halftime. Overall, the Giants defense allowed 343 total net yards (70 rushing and 273 passing) with 216 of those yards coming in the first half.
Safety Landon Collins saved more humiliation when he forced a fumble on 3rd-and-goal from the 1-yard line in the first quarter. The ball was recovered by defensive tackle Damon Harrison in the end zone. Cornerback/safety Cooper Taylor also intercepted a pass in the fourth quarter. Cornerback Janoris Jenkins, defensive end Olivier Vernon, and defensive end Romeo Okwara each had sacks.
Video lowlights are available at Giants.com.
Not playing were WR Victor Cruz (groin), WR Geremy Davis (hamstring – did not make trip), TE Will Johnson (burner – did not make trip), LG Justin Pugh (shoulder), DE Kerry Wynn (groin – did not make trip), LB J.T. Thomas (hamstring – on the PUP – did not make trip), CB Eli Apple (strained leg muscle), and CB Leon McFadden (bruised lower leg – did not make trip).
WR Dwayne Harris (knee, x-rays were negative) and S Mykkele Thompson (concussion) were injured in the game. No word yet on the severity of the injuries or how much time either will miss.
Transcripts and video clips of post-game media sessions with Head Coach Ben McAdoo and the following players are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
- Head Coach Ben McAdoo (Video)
- QB Eli Manning (Video)
- RT Marshall Newhouse (Video)
- OL Bobby Hart (Video)
- DE Olivier Vernon (Video)
- S Darian Thompson (Video)
- NFL dream in sight for Giants receiver after scandalous past by Steve Serby of The New York Post
- Giants’ Anthony Dable making strides as a receiver by Art Stapleton of The Bergen Record
- Giants rookie carries dreams of an entire university to NFL by Steve Serby of The New York Post
- Giants’ Sheppard is a vocal leader by Art Stapleton of The Bergen Record
- Kelvin Sheppard trying to win Giants’ starting job at middle linebacker by Tom Rock of Newsday
- How Joe Powell came to Giants from Globe Tech, Arena League by Tom Rock of Newsday
- Bennett Jackson fighting to make Giants after 2 lost seasons by Dan Duggan for NJ.com
- NFL had ‘insufficient information’ to give Giants’ Josh Brown more than one-game suspension by Tom Rock of Newsday
- Josh Brown situation a bad look for the Giants by Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com
- What are the Giants’ options without Josh Brown at kicker for season opener? by Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com