AUGUST 4, 2023 NEW YORK GIANTS TRAINING CAMP REPORT…
The New York Giants held their eighth summer training camp practice of the year on Friday at Quest Diagnostics Training Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The team was in full pads for only the second time this summer.
The Giants have waived/injured WR Jeff Smith (knee) and signed free agent NT Donovan Jeter, who was released by Chicago Bears on Tuesday.
The Giants signed Smith as an unrestricted free agent from the New York Jets in March 2023. The 6’1”, 195-pound Smith was originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent by the Jets after the 2019 NFL Draft. In his four seasons with the Jets, Smith played in 36 regular-season games with seven starts, catching 34 passes for 426 yards an no touchdowns.
The 24-year old 6’3”, 325-pound Jeter was originally signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers as an undrafted rookie free agent after the 2022 NFL Draft. He has spent time with the Steelers (2022), Washington Commanders (2022), and Bears (2023). He has only played in one NFL game, with Washington in 2022.
INJURY REPORT – EVAN NEAL SUFFERS CONCUSSION…
WR Wan’Dale Robinson (ACL), OG Marcus McKethan (ACL), DL A’Shawn Robinson (meniscus), DL D.J. Davidson (ACL), and CB Aaron Robinson (ACL) remain on the Active/Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) List.
WR Sterling Shepard (unknown), OL Jack Anderson (unknown), DL Leonard Williams (rest day), DL Ryder Anderson (triceps), and OLB Azeez Ojulari (rest day) did not practice. OLB Jihad Ward (unknown) returned to practice on a limited basis.
When asked about Ryder Anderson, who was injured in practice on Thursday, Head Coach Brian Daboll responded, “He won’t be out there today but he’ll work through it.”
Regarding Jack Anderson, Daboll said, “It’s not anything long term.”
RT Evan Neal (concussion) left practice early.
Some snippets from various media sources:
- The team was in full pads for the second time in training camp.
- First-team offensive line was LT Andrew Thomas, LG Ben Bredeson, OC John Michael Schmitz, RG Mark Glowinski, and RT Evan Neal.
- Shane Lemieux received the bulk of the snaps as second-team center.
- Darrian Beavers worked at inside linebacker next to Bobby Okereke.
- The starting wideouts were Darius Slayton, Parris Campbell, and Isaiah Hodgins.
- The starting defensive backs were CB Tre Hawkins, CB Deonte Banks, slot CB Adoree’ Jackson, S Xavier McKinney, and S Jason Pinnock. After a couple of snaps, Darnay Holmes subbed for Jackson.
- The three-safety package included S Dane Belton again.
- LT Andrew Thomas and DL Dexter Lawrence dominated 1-on-1 drills.
- Ben Bredeson performed well on his 1-on-1 chances. Tackles Matt Peart and Korey Cunningham also did well on 1-on-1 reps.
- In 7-on-7 drills, QB Daniel Jones hit TE Darren Waller a couple of times over the middle for good gains.
- A deep pass to WR Parris Campbell from QB Daniel Jones was broken up by CB Cor’Dale Flott.
- QB Tyrod Taylor hit WR Cole Beasley on an out route. Beasley then made the defensive back miss with a cut back.
- RB Saquon Barkley scored on a run out of the wildcat formation, with QB Daniel Jones motioning before the snap.
- OLB Oshane Ximines, who played with the first team with Azeez Ojulari out, made two plays, first stopping RB Saquon Barkley on a run and then getting to the quarterback on an untouched blitz.
- In 11-on-11 drills, QB Daniel Jones scored a touchdown on a scramble to his right. Then off play-action, Jones scrambled to his right and hit TE Daniel Bellinger for the touchdown.
- ILB Bobby Okereke stuffed RB Saquon Barkley in the hole on the goal line.
- Wide receivers Collin Johnson and David Sills (twice) caught touchdown passes from QB Tyrod Taylor.
- S Jason Pinnock broke up a pass from QB Daniel Jones.
- QB Daniel Jones threw two touchdowns, the first to WR Parris Campbell against CB Darnay Holmes, and the second to WR Darius Slayton.
- Matt Peart replaced Evan Neal at right tackle when Neal left with the trainers.
- ILB Bobby Okereke knocked down a red-zone pass from QB Daniel Jones.
- ILB Darrian Beavers was beat deep by RB Saquon Barkley and was flagged for a penalty on the play.
- QB Daniel Jones found RB Saquon Barkley for a 5-yard score on a pass play.
- CB Cor’Dale Flott broke up another pass intended for WR Collin Johnson.
- CB Darren Evans broke up two passes intended for WR Bryce Ford-Wheaton.
- WR Kalil Pimpleton scored against CB Gemon Green.
- S Jason Pinnock was flagged for taunting. The defense was flagged a number of times in practice.
- QB Daniel Jones faked a screen pass to RB Matt Breida and then ran into the end zone on a QB keeper.
- A pass from QB Tyrod Taylor was tipped by LB Cam Brown and intercepted by LB Carter Coughlin.
- In team 11-on-11 red-zone drills, QB Daniel Jones finished 6-of-9 with three touchdowns.
- According to multiple reports, the run defense stood out.
- After practice, QB Daniel Jones continued to work with RB Saquon Barkley and receivers Cole Beasley and Jamison Crowder on the field.
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following players are available in The Corner Forum and on YouTube:
WHAT’S UP NEXT…
The New York Giants practice Saturday evening (5:00-7:00PM). This will be the last summer training camp practice open to the public in New Jersey. Head Coach Brian Daboll and select players will also address the media earlier in the day.