[contentblock id=1 img=html.png]
JUNE 14, 2016 NEW YORK GIANTS MINI-CAMP REPORT…
The first day of the New York Giants mandatory 3-day mini-camp was held on Tuesday at Quest Diagnostics Training Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The mini-camp will continue with practices on Wednesday and Thursday.
INJURY REPORT – VICTOR CRUZ PRACTICES…
Running back Orleans Darkwa (fractured leg), tight end Matt LaCosse (lower leg), offensive guard Ryan Seymour (torn ligament in hand), offensive tackle Byron Stingily (unknown), defensive tackle Montari Hughes (lower leg), linebacker J.T. Thomas (lower leg), safety Cooper Taylor (sports hernia), and safety Mykkele Thompson (lower leg) did not practice.
“J.T. has a lower leg injury,” said Head Coach Ben McAdoo. “It is something that we feel he will be ready for camp.”
When McAdoo was asked about LaCosse, Hughes, and Thompson, he replied, “No, same thing, we are going to hold onto those guys until camp…We expect (Thompson) to be ready to go for training camp.”
Wide receiver Victor Cruz (calf) took part in individual drills and some walk-thru team drills. It was the first time he has practiced since August 2015 when he suffered a calf injury that later required surgery. “It was good to have Victor back in the fold,” said McAdoo. “(It was) another small step today. We felt it was time to take the next step…He ran a couple routes versus air, versus man to man, stuck his foot in the ground and looked like he could get some separation.”
— Art Stapleton (@art_stapleton) June 14, 2016
Some snippets from various media sources:
- The starting safeties were Landon Collins and Darian Thompson. The second-team safeties were Nat Berhe and Andrew Adams. The third team safeties were Bennett Jackson and Justin Currie.
- Cornerback Trevin Wade lined up as the starting nickel cornerback.
- Dominique-Rodgers Cromartie played the slot cornerback position some with Eli Apple and Janoris Jenkins outside.
- Running back Shane Vereen beat safety Landon Collins for a big gain down the left sideline.
- Linebacker Jonathan Casillas dropped an interception on an underneath pass from quarterback Eli Manning.
- Tight end Ryan Malleck made a leaping grab against defensive end/linebacker Brad Bars. Malleck later ripped down a pass away from cornerback Matt Smalley.
- Wide receiver Sterling Shepard made a nice sliding catch on a comeback route against cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. Shepard also caught a touchdown pass from Manning in the red zone on a dig route.
- Wide receiver Myles White beat cornerback Eli Apple on a slant in the endzone for a touchdown. Apple later broke up another pass intended for White.
- Cornerback Trevin Wade ripped the ball away from wide receiver Sterling Shepard and returned it for a touchdown.
- Wide receiver Tavarres King caught a touchdown pass from quarterback Ryan Nassib.
- Giants.com top plays (VIDEO).
- Giants.com wide receiver Victor Cruz highlights (VIDEO).
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following players are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
- QB Eli Manning (Video)
- WR Odell Beckham, Jr. (Video)
- WR Victor Cruz (Video)
- DT Johnathan Hankins (Video)
NY POST Q&A WITH FB/TE WILL JOHNSON…
Giants FB Will Johnson on working 3 jobs, becoming a dad and ‘loaded’ team by Steve Serby of The New York Post
- OTA Wrap-Up: Writers give their takeaways by Giants.com
- Eli Manning optimistic about Giants’ offense by Tom Rock of Newsday
- Eli Manning expects Peyton, Tom Coughlin to be Giants fans by Tom Rock of Newsday
- How slimmed-down Eli Manning was stoked by Peyton’s photos by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Paul Perkins finally allowed to join Giants for minicamp by Jordan Raanan for NJ.com
- Don’t assume Giants WR Odell Beckham Jr.’s newfound celebrity status will lead to bad results on the field by Ralph Vacchiano of The New York Daily News
- Victor Cruz laughs off ‘Who’s the new guy?’ taunts, takes ‘small step’ toward return at Giants mini-camp by Pat Leonard of The New York Daily News
- French star Anthony Dable making smooth transition to Giants by John Schmeelk of Giants.com
- Giants’ TE quagmire: De facto starter can’t believe he’s a vet by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Larry Donnell taking on veteran role in Tight Ends Room by John Schmeelk of Giants.com
- Giants’ Landon Collins haunted by rookie flub by Art Stapleton of The Bergen Record
- Ex-Boise State CB Deayon defies doubts as he thrives for Giants by Dave Southorn of The Bonner County Daily Bee
- Giants’ Bennett Jackson knocks off rust; what’s next? by Jordan Raanan for NJ.com
- Safety Mykkele Thompson ready for fresh start by John Schmeelk of Giants.com