[contentblock id=1 img=html.png]
GIANTS REPORT TO CAMP ON THURSDAY…
New York Giants players report to summer training camp on Thursday. The first training camp practice will occur on Friday. (A complete schedule is available at Giants.com). Head Coach Ben McAdoo and a number of players will address the press on Thursday.
HAKEEM NICKS SIGNS WITH SAINTS…
New York Giants unrestricted free agent wide receiver Hakeem Nicks has signed a 1-year contract with the New Orleans Saints.
Desperate for veteran wide receiver help, the Giants signed then 27-year old Hakeem Nicks off of the street in November 2015. Unfortunately, the results were not good. Nicks played in six games with two starts, but finished with only seven catches for 54 yards. It’s been a precipitous decline for Nicks ever since his stellar 2010 and 2011 seasons when he compiled 155 catches for 2,244 yards and 18 touchdowns in 28 regular-season games.
Nicks was originally drafted by the Giants in the 1st round of the 2009 NFL Draft. After two disappointing seasons in 2012 and 2013 when Nicks’ production fell to 109 passes for 1,588 yards and three touchdowns in 28 regular-season games, Nicks departed in free agency for the Indianapolis Colts. Nicks’ production in Indianapolis was disappointing too as he caught 38 passes for 405 yards and four touchdowns. He tried to catch on with the Tennessee Titans in training camp in 2015 but did not make the team. Nicks’ demise has largely been attributed to injuries, including compartment syndrome in his lower right leg in 2010 as well as a broken right foot and a poster cruciate ligament (PCL) tear in 2012.
DANIEL FELLS RETIRES…
Although not officially announced, it appears New York Giants tight end Daniel Fells has retired. Fells was placed on Injured Reserve in October 2015 after multiple career-threatening surgeries were required to address a life-threatening staph infection that developed in an injured ankle. He only played in two games in 2015 and finished with six catches for 60 yards.
Fells said on his Instagram account, “Although playing the game is no longer in the cards for me I’m grateful for the 10 year career that I was blessed to experience.”
Fells was originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent by the Atlanta Falcons after the 2006 NFL Draft. He has spent time with the Falcons, Raiders, Buccaneers, Rams, Broncos, and Patriots. The Giants signed Fells to a reserve/future contract in January 2014. He played in all 16 games for the Giants in 2014 with nine starts, accruing 16 catches for 188 yards and four touchdowns.
TOM COUGHLIN ACCEPTS JOB WITH NFL…
According to press report, former New York Giants Head Coach Tom Coughlin has accepted a full-time position with the NFL’s football operations department. His exact role has yet to be announced by the League. Coughlin was de facto fired in January by the Giants after serving with the team since 2004.
Video clips of exclusive interviews with the following coaches and players are available at Giants.com:
- Offensive Coordinator Mike Sullivan (Video)
- Special Teams Coordinator Tom Quinn (Video)
- TE Will Tye (Video)
- DE Olivier Vernon (Video)
- DT Damon Harrison (Video)
GIANTS.COM PLAYER Q&As…
Transcripts of Q&A sessions with the following players are available at Giants.com:
- Training Camp Preview Report: Giants Offense by John Schmeelk of Giants.com
- Training Camp Preview Report: Giants Defense by John Schmeelk of Giants.com
- Training Camp Preview Report: Special Teams by John Schmeelk of Giants.com
- Competitions to watch at Training Camp by Dan Salomone of Giants.com
- Victor Cruz and Giants WRs among 10 must-watch items at training camp by Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com
- Giants training camp will have some continuity despite major changes by Tom Rock of Newsday
- The five biggest questions facing Giants entering training camp by Ralph Vacchiano of The New York Daily News
- 6 Giants camp storylines: WR showtime, $62.5M justification by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Are Victor Cruz, JPP back? 5 Giants to watch at training camp by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Ben McAdoo’s approach to Giants training camp geared toward teaching millennials by Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com
- Ben McAdoo now must prove he’s new voice Giants needed by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Another Super Bowl title for Eli Manning would give Giants QB immortal status — but at 35, he’s running out of time by Ralph Vacchiano of The New York Daily News
- New York Giants should have six new starters on defense by Dan Graziano of ESPN.com
- Odell Beckham-Giants contract dance starts on the right note by Kaylee Pofahl and Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- How can Will Tye stand out in TE competition? by Dan Salomone of Giants.com
- Olivier Vernon building chemistry with new-look D-Line by John Schmeelk of Giants.com
- Damon Harrison: “Seamless transition” to new defensive scheme by Dan Salomone of Giants.com
- Ernie Accorsi takes you inside the Eli Manning deal by Dan Salomone of Giants.com
This picture of me and my baby girl was taken a little over a year ago at Quest Diagnostic. I wish I was heading into battle with my brothers as Training Camp starts up this week but I also believe that everything happens for a reason. Although playing the game is no longer in the cards for me I'm grateful for the 10 year career that I was blessed to experience. Thank you all for the phone calls, text messages, emails and well wishes that I've gotten over the last few months. I'm working hard to accept my physical limitations and the mental struggles that go along with them. I know that I'm lucky to be alive so I'm determined to make the most of everyday that I have. Looking forward to cheering for my G-men and all of my former teammates on different teams around the nation this year #onceagiantalwaysagiant