JUNE 7, 2022 NEW YORK GIANTS MINI-CAMP REPORT…
The first day of the New York Giants 3-day, mandatory mini-camp was held on Tuesday at Quest Diagnostics Training Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey. No live contact is permitted during the mini-camp, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are allowed.
“Really it’s just an extension of the OTAs is really what it is,” said Head Coach Brian Daboll. “Had an extra walk-through. Everything else is pretty much the same. One thing we’ll do different is watch practice after since we got a little bit more time after this practice. But the structure of practice, that will all be the same… It really is an extension of what we’ve been doing with a little bit more time meeting and an extra walk-through.
“We’ve been at it for a long time with the extra (mini-) camp. We’ve had two. Guys have had great attendance. Feel very good about where we are at in terms of the spring and what we’ve got accomplished. Thrown a lot at them. The guys have come in every day with really blinders on ready to work and get better and taking it day by day. Great appreciation for the work ethic that those guys have put in and the coaches. Long way to go, but we’ve got a lot accomplished this spring.”
Players wearing red jerseys because of injury issues included WR Kenny Golladay, WR Kadarius Toney, WR Sterling Shepard, LT Andrew Thomas, OC Nick Gates, OT Matt Peart, ILB Blake Martinez, OLB Kayvon Thibodeaux, CB Aaron Robinson, CB Darnay Holmes, and CB Rodarius Williams, among others.
“I’ll probably be pretty vague most of the time,” said Head Coach Brian Daboll when asked for injury updates.
Thibodeaux participated in walk-thru drills, Golladay participated in individual drills, and Robinson participated in individual and team drills. Thomas also participated in some drills early in practice.
Some snippets from various media sources:
- Officials were present for practice.
- First-team offensive line: LT Joshua Ezeudu, LG Shane Lemieux, OC Jon Feliciano, RG Mark Glowinski, and RT Evan Neal.
- Second-team offensive line: LT Devery Hamilton, LG Ben Bredeson, C Jamil Douglas, RG Marcus McKethan, and RT Matt Gono.
- Third-team offensive line: LT Roy Mbaeteka, LG Josh Rivas, C Ben Bredeson, RG Max Garcia, and RT Korey Cunningham.
- With all of the injuries at wide receiver, the first-team receivers were C.J. Board, David Sills, and Richie James. Rotating in with this unit was Darius Slayton, Wan’Dale Robinson, and Travis Toivonen. Toivonen was active catching the ball.
- First-team defense included DL Leonard Williams, DL Dexter Lawrence, OLB Azeez Ojulari, CB Adoree’ Jackson, S Xavier McKinney, and S Julian Love.
- Jihad Ward and Elerson Smith also received many first-team reps at outside linebacker as did Michael Jacquet at cornerback and Dane Belton at safety.
- When the Giants went with a 3-man line, the other lineman was usually David Moa or Justin Ellis.
- A blitzing defensive front got good pressure on the quarterbacks for much of practice. The defense clearly looked ahead of the offense.
- In full-team, 11-on-11 drills, S Dane Belton blitzed twice and probably would have “sacked” the quarterback.
- QB Daniel Jones would have also been “sacked” on back-to-back redzone plays later in practice. By one account, he was not terribly accurate, finishing 13-of-21.
- When the offense did make a play, it usually involved RB Saquon Barkley catching the ball.
- WR Richie James was also active catching the football.
- CB Aaron Robinson broke up one pass from QB Daniel Jones. CB Cor’Dale Flott also flashed in coverage when Jones was at quarterback and broke up a pass.
- CB Zyon Gilbert broke up a QB Tyrod Taylor pass.
- LB Carter Coughlin broke up a pass.
- By one account, QB Tyrod Taylor finished 8-of-13.
- RB Matt Breida caught a few passes from QB Tyrod Taylor.
- Catching touchdown passes were RB Saquon Barkley (from QB Daniel Jones), RB Matt Breida (from QB Tyrod Taylor), and RB Antonio Williams (from QB Davis Webb).
- TE Jordan Akins caught a couple of passes from QB Davis Webb.
- Practice ended with QB Davis Webb picking up a bad snap and hitting WR Alex Bachman in the back of the end zone for a touchdown.
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following players are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
GIANTS AND JETS TO HOLD JOINT PRACTICES DURING TRAINING CAMP…
Head Coach Brian Daboll revealed on Tuesday that the Giants and New York Jets will hold joint practices at the Giants’ Quest Diagnostics practice facility in August during training camp.
“Yeah, plan is right now we’re going to do it,” Head Coach Brian Daboll said. “I think it’s good to practice with the guys from down the street, play in a different conference. I know Jets Coach (Robert) Saleh. He’s a really good coach. We’ve had some good talks. I think it’s a good chance to come out here and be competitive against some other players that you’re not practicing against throughout the summer as long as you do it the right way. We want to treat those guys that they’re just like our teammates when you’re practicing. So, I think that coach and I have had some good conversations and looking forward to it.”