MAY 25, 2023 NEW YORK GIANTS OTA PRACTICE REPORT…
The Giants held their third voluntary organized team activity (OTA) practice on Thursday, and first one open to the media. No live contact is permitted during OTAs, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are allowed.
“We have been grinding away here into phase three of the program. I think we made some strides physically with the strength and conditioning program, phase one and phase two. Really, it’s a learning camp, a teaching camp. That’s how we approach it. No one is going to make the team off of performance at this camp. There are certain rules and things that we with try to coach and make sure that our guys are on top of.
“As always, I think there’s a few guys out that had prior engagements for today. They will be back next week. We have really good attendance. There will be some guys working their rehab stuff, and throughout practice each of those guys are kind of at different stages. Just trying to get them as healthy as we can. I’m not going to get into specifics of any of them. I would say with Saquon, that situation is going to be between Saquon and the organization. I’m not going to get into detail of any of the discussions we’ve had.”
The seven remaining OTA practices will be held on May 30-31, June 2, June 5-6, and June 8-9. A mandatory mini-camp will also be held June 13-15.
INJURIES AND ABSENTEES…
Not spotted at were RB Saquon Barkley (unsigned Franchise player), DL Leonard Williams, DL Dexter Lawrence, DL A’Shawn Robinson, DL D.J. Davidson (recovering from knee surgery), DL Vernon Butler, and CB Nick McCloud.
WR Wan’Dale Robinson (recovering from knee surgery), WR Makai Polk, OT Tyre Phillips, OG Marcus McKethan (recovering from knee surgery), ILB Darrian Beavers (recovering from knee surgery), OLB Elerson Smith (recovering from foot surgery), CB Aaron Robinson (recovering from knee surgery), S Dane Belton (recovering from unspecified offseason surgery), S Jason Pinnock, and S Trenton Thompson.worked on the side.
Some snippets from various media sources:
- Fielding punts were RB Eric Gray, WR Darius Slayton, WR Jaydon Mickens, WR Kalil Pimpleton, CB Darnay Holmes, and CB Adoree’ Jackson.
- First-team offensive line was RT Evan Neal, RG Mark Glowinski, OC John Michael Schmitz, LG Ben Bredeson, and LT Andrew Thomas.
- First-team wide receivers were Parris Campbell, Darius Slayton, and Isaiah Hodgins.
- The starting inside linebackers were Bobby Okereke and Jarrad Davis.
- Starting at cornerback were Adoree’ Jackson and Amani Oruwariye. Darnay Holmes was the slot corner. Deontae Banks was with the second-team defense.
- The starting safeties were Xavier McKinney and Bobby McCain.
- On the first play of 7-on-7 drills, QB Daniel Jones connected with TE Darren Waller deep down the right sideline over CB Darnay Holmes. Jones later hit Waller deep again.
- QB Daniel Jones connected with WR Darius Slayton deep twice. Slayton also caught a touchdown in the back of the end zone from Jones later in 7-on-7 drills.
- Wide receivers Collin Johnson and Jamison Crowder flashed in 7-on-7 drills.
- TE Lawrence Cager saw quite a bit of work and caught a deep pass from QB Tyrod Taylor.
- WR Sterling Shepard, who is recovering from ACL surgery, practiced in some 7-on-7 drills with the third team.
- S Gervarrius Owens broke up a pass from QB Tommy DeVito. CB Cor’Dale Flott also broke up a pass.
- WR David Sills injured himself after hitting the ground hard after making a deep catch from QB Daniel Jones. Sills appeared to injure his ribs or back.
GIANTS PRESEASON TIMES AND DATES SET…
The Giants announced the times and dates for their three preseason games. Details are available in the Schedule section of the website.
HEAD COACH BRIAN DABOLL…
The transcript and video of Brian Daboll’s press conference on Thursday are available in The Corner Forum and on YouTube.
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following players are available in The Corner Forum and on YouTube:
- QB Daniel Jones (Video)
- TE Darren Waller (Video)
- LT Andrew Thomas (Video)
- ILB Bobby Okereke (Video)
- S Xavier McKinney (Video)