[contentblock id=1 img=html.png]
AUGUST 3, 2016 NEW YORK GIANTS TRAINING CAMP REPORT…
The New York Giants held their fifth summer training camp practice on Wednesday at Quest Diagnostics Training Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The practice was not open to the public.
LEON HALL VISITS GIANTS AGAIN…
Unrestricted free agent cornerback Leon Hall (Cincinnati Bengals) visited the New York Giants on Wednesday. Hall had visited the team back in early May but obviously did not sign a contract with the team at that time.
The 31-year old Hall was originally drafted in the 1st round of the 2007 NFL Draft by the Cincinnati Bengals. In his nine seasons with the Bengals, Hall has played in 121 regular-season games with 105 starts. Hall started four of the 14 games he played in last season, finishing with 44 tackles, nine pass defenses, and two interceptions. He also won “AFC Player of the Week” for his performance in a December game against the St. Louis Rams.
The aging Hall is a physical press corner who tackles very well. He is very experienced and technically-sound. The strength of Hall’s game is his ability to cover receivers out of the slot position. Versatile, Hall has also played safety in some packages. Hall has suffered two Achilles’ tendon injuries (2011 and 2013) that has robbed him of some of his explosiveness. Hall also had back surgery this offseason to repair a disc injury. He is a hard worker and team leader.
New York Giants defensive tackle Jay Bromley (ankle) and linebacker J.T. Thomas (hamstring) remain on the Physically-Unable-to-Perform (PUP) List.
Tight end Matt LaCosse left practice early with a right knee injury but returned. “He has a knee,” said Head Coach Ben McAdoo. “But he came back. Came back and fought through it.”
Wide receiver Odell Beckham, Jr. (left leg) did not practice. When asked if Beckham was making progress, McAdoo responded, “Absolutely… running and cutting and we will evaluate him each day… (He) looks close.”
Place kicker Josh Brown was excused for personal reasons.
Some snippets from various media sources:
- Quarterback Eli Manning has had a strong start to training camp and looked sharp again on Wednesday.
- Defensive end Kerry Wynn and defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins flashed in run defense.
- Working with the third-team defense, defensive end Romeo Okwara blew up a running play.
- Quarterback Eli Manning hit running back Shane Vereen for a long touchdown off a wheel route. (VIDEO)
- Linebacker Keenan Robinson worked with the first-team nickel defense and looked sharp in pass coverage.
- Wide receiver Victor Cruz was rotated in with first-team offense. However, Cruz has yet to make many plays in practice and has not flashed his past explosiveness.
- Cornerback Eli Apple had blanket coverage on wide receiver Geremy Davis on a go route.
- Second-team safeties were Nat Berhe and Andrew Adams.
- Linebacker Jonathan Casillas separated the ball from an intended receiver with a big hit.
- Quarterback Ryan Nassib was not sharp, but he did hit tight end Matt LaCosse over the middle for a big gain.
- Cornerback Janoris Jenkins broke up a fade pass into the end zone intended for wide receiver Roger Lewis from quarterback Eli Manning.
- Linebacker B.J. Goodson received some second-team reps in 7-on-7 drills.
- Quarterback Eli Manning targeted wide receiver Sterling Shepard quite a bit with success.
- Quarterback Eli Manning hit tight end Larry Donnell deep down the right sideline, beating linebacker Jasper Brinkley. (VIDEO)
- Defensive end Olivier Vernon gave left tackle Ereck Flowers problems with his quickness.
- Running back Bobby Rainey broke a long run with the first-team offense out of the no-huddle.
- Wide receiver K.J. Maye made a diving reception on a pass from quarterback Ryan Nassib.
- Linebacker Brad Bars – a converted defensive end – flashed in run defense.
- Cornerback Trevin Wade had a strong day playing the slot corner position.
— New York Giants (@Giants) August 3, 2016
THE COACHES SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following coaches are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
- Head Coach Ben McAdoo (Video)
- Quarterbacks Coach Frank Cignetti Jr. (Video)
- Cornerbacks Coach Tim Walton (Video)
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following players are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
- Five observations from New York Giants camp by Conor Orr of NFL.com
- Rashad Jennings looks to replicate late-season surge by Michael Eisen of Giants.com
- Training with Victor Cruz: The Giants’ WR wants to prove you wrong by Jamie Lisanti of SI.com
- Richburg center of attention at Giants camp by Art Stapleton of The Bergen Record
- ESPN names Owa Odighizuwa a breakout prospect by Charles Mule of Giants.com
- Johnathan Hankins’ Sweet 16 party: One sack per game by Tom Rock of Newsday
- Undrafted DT’s plan to make Giants? ‘Keep my mouth shut and watch’ by James Kratch for NJ.com
- Giants holding ‘open competition’ at middle linebacker by John Fennelly of SNY
- Inside the education of B.J. Goodson, Giants’ middle linebacker of the future by James Kratch for NJ.com
- Darian Thompson, Giants rookie safety, still bothered by missed interception opportunity by Tom Rock of Newsday
- Janoris Jenkins’ high expectations for Giants season match his high-priced deal by Seth Walder of The New York Daily News
WHAT’S UP NEXT…
The sixth training camp practice will be held on Thursday from 10:40AM – 12:45PM. Only seven remaining training camp practices at Quest Diagnostics Training Center will be open to the public (weather permitting) this year:
- Thursday, August 4: 10:40 AM – 12:45 PM
- Friday, August 5: 10:40 AM – 11:40 AM
- Saturday, August 6: 10:40 AM – 1:00 PM
- Monday, August 8: 11:10 AM – 12:40 PM
- Tuesday, August 9: 10:40 AM – 12:55 PM
- Wednesday, August 10: 10:40 AM – 12:20 PM
- Sunday, August 14: 11:10 AM – 12:50 PM